Sunday, April 18, 2010


Nostalgia
My dad used to drive around in an old Chevy C-10 stepside pickup truck. I loved that truck. It had a wooden bed which was always littered with stuff.
One spring, we had beans growing back there because we had hauled some dirt and some garden seeds had fallen in the back. We considered ourselves very clever truck farmers, with our mobile garden.
I used to love to kick out the small vent windows on the side. And, when we we were riding around in the woods, my dad would let me ride hanging onto the stepside.
The truck was a dark forest green with the word "Chevrolet" in white on the tailgate. It was also embellished with some rusty spots, but that seemed then to only add to its charm.
I can still remember the sound the hood made when Daddy would close it. It was a very heavy sound. Everytime I would hear the hood slam, I would think about my fingers getting squished under it. Thankfully, they never did.
The other day, I saw one very much like my dad's old truck parked in a grocery store parking lot. I have toyed with the idea for many years of getting one to restore. The day I saw one at Piggly Wiggly, I almost left a note on that truck saying, "When you get ready to sell, call me." But, I didn't.
But, it doesn't mean I won't.
(Picture is Larry and Lacy Coghlan's '61 Apache C-10.)



No comments: